Monday, 2 November 2009

Hospitalisation


I purport to be a risk taker love doing adventures things like bungee jumping, abseiling off the Sydney harbour bridge, being a motorbike rider and just signed up for a scuba diving course. Although I do these risky things I have never had to be hospitalised before never broken a bone, needed stitches or hurt myself other than a few scratches and bruises. So I was unprepared last week when I went into the emergency room with a servere pain in my side after waiting four hours which I thought would be a Kidney infection and they would give me antibiotics and I would be one my way. Instead I was poked and prodded had a cannula put in my arm and poked and prodded some more. After a CT scan they had discovered that it was bad and I was admitted at 2 am in the morning. I was hooked up to a IV machine giving me fluids and the strong antibiotics and pain relief. I awoke at 7:30 am for the doctors told I was to stay in hospital for four days. The IV antibiotics were very strong they caused me to vomit every time I moved and I would feel nausea all the time and vomited 7 to 8 times a day. The worse part was that I was not eating anything at all so i would vomit bile which was left a foul taste in my mouth. I also hated the feeling of not being in control as I couldn't stop what drugs were pumped in my body being hooked to a machine was hard because I couldn't rush to the bathroom if I were ill.

I felt powerless and everything was out of my control and just wanted to go home. I am your typical Type A I always have a plan and I am in full control at all times even if it does not seem like it. I know that seems strange since I love to do risky out of control things but I know my limits and like I said I have never had to be in hospital before this. It is strange to reflect on how you cope with different situations and I always knew I would be a terrible patient because I am way to independent and like to have some control over what is happening to my body. In the end i started refusing to take oral medications and they were not forced on me. The Nurses were lovely and helped out a lot although I probably gave them a hard time as I didn't like what was happening and wanted to go home. I did however get to go home a day early of which i as thankful. The most interesting thing is how people perceive things when my DH was hospitalised for a couple of weeks after a motorcycle accident and he would accidentally call the hospital the Hotel. I on the other hand kept accidentally referring the the hospital as a prison. I am sure Sigmund Freud would have a lot to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear that you're unwell and in hospital - hopefully you'll be out & about and in charge again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sorry to hear you were unwell - hope you better. When on earth did you do bungee jumping? *chuckle* - even I am not game to do that one :)

    ReplyDelete